Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles
(Makes 8 cups – 2 cups per serving)
1 cup flour
1 large egg
½ teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons water
Chicken Noodle Soup:
8 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ small yellow onion, chopped
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Directions for Homemade Noodles::
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the flour and make a little well in the middle.
2. Add the egg, salt, and water.
3. Mix the ingredients with a fork until it forms a lump of dough.
4. Knead on a lightly, floured surface until smooth.
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly, floured surface until it is paper thin, and cut into ¼ inch pieces.
Directions for Chicken Noodle Soup:
1. Chop the onion, carrots, and celery.
2. In a stock pot, measure and add the olive oil.
3. Add the chopped onion and celery and cook on medium high heat until translucent.
4. Add the low-sodium chicken broth.
5. Drop in the carrots, fresh thyme, and bay leaf.
6. Gently stir in the noodles and chicken, and cook for about 15 minutes until carrots are tender.
You did it! Yum!