(Makes 8 cups – 2 cups per serving)
1 clove garlic
½ small yellow onion
A small zucchini, cut into cubes
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
2 Swiss chard leaves, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1- 14.5 ounce can kidney beans
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 cups water
1 - 6 ounce tomato sauce
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup whole-wheat pasta, uncooked
1. Chop the garlic, onion, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, and fresh parsley.
2. Remove the thick stem from the Swiss chard. Stack the leaves and cut into 1/3 inch strips.
3. Put ¾ of the can of kidney beans into a blender and process a few seconds until thick and chunky.
4. Measure the olive oil into a stock pot, and turn the heat to medium high.
5. Add the garlic and onion and cook a couple of minutes until translucent.
6. Add the water, tomato sauce, salt, kidney beans, rest of the veggies, and pasta.
7. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender and pasta is al dente.
8. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese. You did it! Yum!